Monday, April 1, 2013

Curried Lentil Soup


Lentils. Not that anyone could tell from this blog, but I'm slightly obsessed. I'm 90% positive I could have them everyday for the rest of my life and be satisfied. If I chose my last meal before passing it would be lentils with some sautéed cabbage. I would estimate that we go through an average of a pound of lentils per week here in the Welchmeyer household. Obviously my doing, but Mark enjoys them about as much.

Most of the time I just boil them in some broth for a quick side with dinner, hardly blog worthy. What is  blog worthy, however, is this quick curry flavored lentil soup. I've made it for lunch every Wednesday for the last 2 months and will continue to make it for the foreseeable future.

On top of being ridiculously filling and embarrassingly simple, its one of those meals that leaves an awesome aftertaste in your mouth for hours. Based on my recipe for basic lentil soup I posted awhile ago, this is a worthy upgrade. One that I highly suggest trying. Serve with some crusty bread or crackers for a healthy, light lunch.

Curried Lentil Soup
Adapted from here

Serves 1

Ingredients:

1 cup broth

1/2 cup lentils

1 carrot, finely chopped

1/2 onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon curry powder

pinch of cayenne

Directions:

Stir together broth, lentils, garlic powder, salt, curry powder, and cayenne in a saucepan over medium heat.

Chop carrot, onion, and garlic clove; add to lentil mixture.

Bring everything to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low.

Allow to cook for 20-25 minutes.

Pour into large bowl and serve with crackers.

Enjoy :).

Pic-by-Pic Description:





No comments:

Post a Comment