Sunday, March 10, 2013

Mushroom Stroganoff


Growing up one of my favorite meals was beef stroganoff. You know, the one with the sauce made of browned beef, onions, cream of mushroom soup, milk, and sour cream served over egg noodles. My mouth waters just thinking about it. Slathering the leftover sauce over toast the next day... Fogettaboutit.

I however had never made it.... for two main reasons:

1. It was one of those dishes that was always made by the same person and will never ever taste the same. Ever. No matter what. Ever.

2. I don't even have a can of cream of mushroom soup in my pantry.

Not to mention, up until about 3 months ago I thought I loathed mushrooms so buying some at the store for cooking was out of the question. Then I took a cooking class and learned how to properly prepare mushrooms for cooking and I've been hooked ever since.

After browsing through the recipes on Gina's site and coming across one for mushroom stroganoff (using real mushrooms!) I had to give it a try.

Flavor-wise this dish was fabulous! Was it the stroganoff I remember from my childhood? No, but I wasn't expecting that either. It hit the spot and thats all I care about.

The best part of all: the sauce tastes even better leftover on top of rice.


Mushroom Stroganoff
Adapted from here

Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

8 ounces of pasta

12 ounces mushrooms, sliced

1 tablespoon butter

1 small onion, chopped

2 cloves of garlic, chopped

3 tablespoons flour

1 can (14.5 ounces) broth

1 tablespoon soy sauce

2 tablespoons white wine

1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 cup greek yogurt (I used 2%)

salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat a large skillet over medium heat with NO OIL. Once hot add sliced mushrooms and allow to sweat out until all liquid escapes (5-7 minutes). Remove mushrooms and set aside.

Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Stir in pasta and cook according to package. Meanwhile, add butter to skillet and swish around to melt. Place onions in pan and cook until mostly softened, stirring every once in awhile. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.

Stir in flour and whisk to incorporate. Once flour is mixed in, add broth and stir constantly for 3-5 minutes, or until it starts to get thick. Mix in mushrooms, soy sauce, wine, cornstarch, and salt & pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook mixture for another 5 minutes, then stir in greek yogurt.

Drain pasta and toss into mushroom sauce.

Divide among plates and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and truffle salt, if desired.

Enjoy :)

Step-by-step process:


Throw them in the hot pan with NO OIL

Let them sweat out all their liquid


Watch the color go from dark brown to...

...Light brown and all creamy looking!


No comments:

Post a Comment