Sunday, July 29, 2012

Grilled Chicken with Tomato, Corn, and Barley Salad

Something happened the other day. I was browsing my favorite food blogs when I happened upon Iowa Girl Eats recipe for grilled chicken with barley corn salad. The second I saw the picture of the final product I knew I had to make it, which is exactly what I did tonight (with some minor changes).

Since I still had some leftover salsa I used it to marinade the chicken in a ziplock bag for a couple hours. I also used medium sized beefsteak tomatoes as that is what I had on hand and omitted both the bacon & avocado because I didn't have either (that needs to change soon). To make up for not having bacon I added some chicken broth to the barley. And lastly, I kept the barley salad warm.

I don't know how all my substitutions affected the flavor the dish was suppose to produce, but I do know that both Mark and I thought it was pretty tasty! Mark even dug in with no complains after learning that the tomatoes and corn were raw (so proud)! I will take it as a sign that he would't mind if I made it again ;).

The recipe does take a little prep work, but keeps you busy enough that you don't really notice.


The first thing I did was place the chicken and about a 1/2 cup of leftover salsa in a big ziplock bag and put it in the refrigerator to marinate. Then I made the tomato vinaigrette and placed that in the fridge as well while I got going on the barley and corn salad. After the barley was done cooking, I threw the salad together and grilled the chicken, cut it up and plated the chicken on top of the salad. Delish.
The only picture I got the chance to take. Go here to see prettier ones,
then make the meal!



Grilled Chicken with Tomato, Corn, and Barley Salad


Adapted from here


Serves 2 (might have some leftover salad that is delicious the next day)


Ingredients for Chicken:

2 chicken breasts

1/2 cup mild salsa

Directions for Marinating Chicken:


Place chicken and salsa in refrigerator in a ziplock bag.


Ingredients for the Tomato Vinaigrette:


1 medium beefsteak tomato

1 clove of garlic

1 Tablespoon of red onion

3 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil

1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar

1 Tablespoon of lemon juice

Salt & pepper

Directions for the Vinaigrette:


Chop tomato in bowl of a food processor.

Then add the garlic, onion, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and salt & pepper.

Blend until smooth and place in airtight container in the refrigerator.

Ingredients for the Tomato, Barley, and Corn Salad:


1/3 cup of dry barley

1 medium beefsteak tomato

1 cup of corn (estimation because I just used fresh corn cut from one ear)

1/3 cup minced red onion

Chicken stock

Salt & Pepper

Directions for Salad:


Place barley in a saucepan with a total of 1 cup liquid (your choice for the amount of stock).

Allow barley to come to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and allow to simmer until tender (30-40 minutes).

While the barley is cooking, chop the tomato, cut your corn, and mince your onion.

When the barley has about 15 minutes left fire up your grill!

Once the grill is heated, throw chicken on and cook until no longer pink in the middle (10-12 minutes).

Remove chicken from grill and set aside.

Drain barley and put in medium bowl.

Add the tomato, onion, corn, and salt & pepper and mix well.

Then pour vinaigrette on top and stir to combine.

Split barley salad evenly on two plates, cut chicken into strips and place on top of salad, and enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment