Tuesday, July 31, 2012

"Enchilada" Pasta

Mmmmm cheesy, meaty, pasta-y goodness
Most nights when I ask Mark what he thinks of the dinner I made he says "it's good, I like it". To me that is a success, especially because most of our dinners are really healthy and full of vegetables (which Mark isn't the most fond of). But every once in awhile my question is met with an enthusiastic "this is delicious, what's in it!", such is the case with this recipe for "enchilada" pasta as Mark lovingly named it.

It's the perfect dish for us because it combines meat, pasta, veggies, and cheese while staying relatively healthy until we decide to eat all 4 servings in one sitting.... It was an accident, I promise. But I don't even feel the need to justify, sometimes you just need a big bowl of pasta, sauce, and cheese.

No need to feel ashamed.


Simple ingredients
Chop chop! I really need to remember I have a gorgeous food
processor. 
Brown the meat and soften the onions & veggies
Add the tomato sauce and seasoning
My quick editing job to make it look like something not out of the 70's
"Enchilada Pasta"


Serves 3-4 (or 2 :))


Ingredients:


1 pound of ground turkey (or beef or chicken or tofu)

5 oz. whole wheat noodles (I use thin spaghetti)

1/2 can tomato sauce

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 zucchini, chopped

1/4 bell pepper, chopped

1 small carrot, sliced thin


2-3 tablespoons taco seasoning

shredded cheese (I use sharp cheddar or mexican blend)

water, optional


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large pot boil water and cook pasta according to box directions; drain and set aside.

At the same time, in a large skillet combine ground turkey, onion, zucchini, bell pepper, and carrot.

Cook over medium heat until meat is cooked through; drain and return to pan.

Add tomato sauce and taco seasoning to skillet and combine well.*

Spray a pie pan lightly with cooking spray and place noodles in the bottom.

Pour sauce mixture over noodles (stir together if you want).

Sprinkle a generous amount of cheese over the top.

Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes.

Scoop onto plates, sprinkle more cheese on top, and serve.

Enjoy :)

Notes:


*Add 1/8 cup of water to sauce mixture if you prefer thinner sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment