Monday, April 22, 2013

Puppy Chow


Waaaaay back in October or November I asked some coworkers for suggestions for snacks they would like me to make. Someone asked for puppy chow and finally, 6 months later I'm getting around to making it for her.

I know the recipe is pretty standard but I'm crediting myself with it because I didn't research one to go off. Besides, I doubt many recipes call for refrigerating the mix overnight and adding extra powdered sugar in the morning. Not to mention I put this recipe in the "healthy" category because I made it without butter or oil. Winner.
My "taster" bowl
Regardless, this stuff is dangerously addicting. You've been warned.

Puppy Chow

Serves 10+

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup chocolate chips

1/2 cup peanut butter

7-8 cups Rice Chex cereal

1 cup powdered sugar

Directions:

Melt chocolate chips in a medium size saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, measure out 7 cups of cereal into a large bowl and set aside.

Once chocolate has melted completely, remove from heat and stir in peanut butter. Using your hands to combine, pour chocolate-peanut butter mixture over cereal. You could probably use a spoon but it's more fun this way. Add more cereal if it looks like there will be a lot of leftover liquid.

Spoon 1/3 of cereal mixture into a gallon size ziplock bag and sprinkle 1/4 cup of powdered sugar over top. Seal and shake around vigorously until powdered sugar is equally distributed throughout bag. Repeat this process two more times, then place bag into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (I left mine overnight).

In the morning remove bag from refrigerator and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of powdered sugar on top. Keep puppy chow sealed in the bag for up to a week or in the freezer for two months.

Enjoy :)

Pictures of the process:


Melted chocolate + peanut butter? Come to Mama!

Powdered sugar goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment