Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tempeh Spring Rolls with Pseudo Peanut Sauce


A couple weeks ago we went out to eat at a Thai restaurant which had spring rolls on their appetizers menu, we didn't order any but I had been thinking about/craving ever since. Fast forward to last weekend when strolling through the aisles of the grocery store I came across spring roll wrappers. Having never used them on top of my unusual yearning for spring rolls meant only one thing: I was buying the wrappers and would attempt to make my own, with a fail-safe meal in mind of course.

I looked at a couple recipes online but decided to just use what I had on hand and hope for the best. I sliced up some raw vegetables and tempeh (which I marinated) and then came the fun part: figuring out the magical powers a little warm water has on a rice paper wrapper! Seriously, I pulled out the dry wrappers and thought for sure I was going to crack them and the rolls would just fall apart, but after dipping them in water for 10 seconds they were instantly rip-proof and semi-flexible. So one by one I dipped, filled, and folded until all my rolls were done. It was THAT easy.
Ingredients


Knowing I would be making the rolls using raw vegetables I whipped together a peanut-like sauce for dipping to help soothe Mark's hesitation, meeting your partner half way is what its all about, right? It turned out well and Mark actually enjoyed the raw veggies in the rolls!

 I will probably be making these often for a healthy lunch alternative to my usual sandwich with a salad rut I'm currently in.

Tempeh Spring Rolls with Pseudo Peanut Sauce

Serves 2-3

Ingredients:

For the spring rolls:

1/2 block tempeh

1/4 medium jicama

1 carrot

1/2 bell pepper

8 spring rolls papers


For the peanut sauce:

2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce

2 teaspoons soy sauce

2 teaspoons peanut butter

1 tablespoon hot water

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

Directions:

Whisk together all ingredients for the peanut sauce in a small bowl. Slice tempeh into matchstick size pieces and put into bottom of a tupperware container. Spoon 1 tablespoon of peanut sauce on top, cover, and set aside.

Slice jicama, carrots, and bell peppers into thin, long slices and set in piles on a cutting board. Place tempeh next to the cutting board.

Put two plates, one with warm water covering the bottom next to the spring roll wrappers. Dip a wrapper into bottom of water-filled plate for about 10 seconds, transfer to the dry plate, and assemble filling in the middle of the wrapper. Carefully roll wrapper like you would a burrito making sure to tuck in the sides and pushing filling mix close together.

Repeat the above process until all the wrappers are filled.

Divide between 2 or 3 plates and serve with remaining peanut sauce for dipping.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment