Sunday, October 21, 2012

Restaurant Review: The Wedge Deli


I'm a sucker for co-ops. From the strange items you come across to the interesting people who to always seem peruse the aisles, I think they are infinitely interesting. Living in a Minneapolis means that there are quite a few co-ops nearby, one of which is The Wedge. Mark and I always drive by it on our way home from the farmer's market and I always want to stop (I know, I know. Right after I get done at the farmer's market?!). Luckily one Saturday we were too hungry to wait the 20 minutes to get home for lunch and stopped in to The Wedge for a quick look-see before visiting their deli for some grub.

Since The Wedge is located off of Lyndale Avenue, and we were visiting on a Saturday afternoon, the store was beyond crowded. This didn't sit too well with Mark as we had just fought off the crowds at the farmer's market, so we booked it back to the deli. The deli was extremely accommodating of the vegetarian and vegan lifestyles. After studying the lunch offerings for a millisecond Mark and I decided to order the works burrito with chips and a make-your-own sandwich, respectively.

While we were waiting for our orders to be ready I noticed that they had a juice bar on the far right side of the deli. I don't know if I have mentioned my obsession with juice bars before, but if there is one in the vicinity I have to go and get a juice. It probably goes hand in hand with my vegetable obsession. Anywho, after asking for some behind-the-counter advice I went with something called a calcium cocktail. It was a vegetable juice made with kale, cabbage, beets, and carrots. Thanks to the beets and carrots the drink had a slight sweetness to it, which took away from the heavy flavor of the kale. I enjoyed my juice and Mark thought it was ok, but next time I would probably go with a tomato based drink.
For my lunch I ordered an avocado, alfalfa sprouts, tomato, spinach, and swiss cheese sandwich on multigrain bread. It was delicious. The creaminess of the avocado mixed with the summery freshness of the tomatoes on top of the slight crunch from the alfalfa sprouts (Mark's genius suggestion) each bite was flavorful and perfectly texturized. As for the bread? Out of this world. I really wish I had bought a loaf. However, my one regret was not getting any protein source on the sandwich as I was hungry two hours later. Just to make it clear that was my fault, not The Wedge's.

Mark's the works burrito was amazing. A huge tortilla stuffed with chicken, avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, and salsa with a side of rice AND beans. I don't know if there is much else to say.... Did you read through all those yummy fillings?! Mark commented that the burrito was Chipotle sized but tasted much fresher that one from Chipotle.

We ate on a bench outside the store watching all the traffic drive by. We both left impressed and satisfied. Our only complaint is that they should really find a way to incorporate more of a seating area because ONE picnic table isn't cutting it.

Even though we didn't explore the store that much on this trip we have since been back and are particularly fond of their bulk section. Best selection of bulk items I have found to date in Minneapolis. If it wasn't located off of such a busy street I would go more often, but it is definitely worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment