Monday, July 2, 2012

Variations of Basic Oeufs En Cocotte (Baked Eggs)


Before I purchased my 1 cup ramekins I had been reusing tin mini loaf pans for things like baked oatmeal for one or carob cake for Chloe's birthdays. But in March I said enough was enough and went out to Home Goods and bought four 1 cup ramekins.

As with any new kitchen item I get, I was beyond thrilled and immediately started brainstorming what to make with them. After much debate and research I settled on a Julia Child's recipe for oeufs en cocotte (or baked eggs). Mark and I both loved it and I have since made it numerous times with slightly different ingredients. I will post the basic recipe and then offer some additional add ons.

Basic Ingredients

Basic Oeufs En Cocotte


Serves 2


Ingredients:


2-4 eggs

4 tablespoons heavy cream

1-2 teaspoons butter

1 teaspoon fresh herbs

salt and pepper

Directions:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly butter two ramekins.

Pour 1 tablespoon of heavy cream into each of the ramekins.

Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon & salt and pepper on top of heavy cream.

Crack 1-2 eggs into each ramekin and pour 1 tablespoon heavy cream on top of each.

Distribute remaining herbs evenly among the two ramekins.

Place ramekins in an oven proof pan with 1 inch of simmering water into the oven.

Bake for 17-20 minutes depending on how "done" you want your eggs.

Serve with buttered toast and coffee!

Add Ons:


I've done a few variations of this recipe:

- Sauteed onions and bell peppers (a personal fav of Mark's)

- Replace the heavy cream with salsa & use cilantro and taco seasoning for the fresh herbs for a tex-mex flair

- Saute some garlic, wilt some spinach with oregano, and replace cream with tomato sauce for an italian dish

- Or do what I did this past Sunday and saute some onion, garlic, and broccoli!

Sauteing onions, broccoli, and garlic
Place in bottom of buttered ramekin
Crack some eggs,  pour some milk or cream, and bake
Enjoy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment