Friday, June 29, 2012

"Restaurant" Review: Target Field

View of skyline from inside Target Field
Even though April has a tendency to be unpredictable when it comes to weather, its still one of my favorite months. It's finally Spring (spend a winter in Minnesota and you will understand), the days are getting longer, and BASEBALL SEASON is finally here. Mark and I are big baseball fans. I can't think of a much better way to spend a weeknight then relaxing at a ballpark and watching some baseball. What makes it even better is that Target Field is an outdoor stadium and we live 10 minutes away.

Luckily for us the winter was kind this year and uncharacteristically warm. So when our friend Daren offered for us to tag along to the April 14th game against the Rangers we jumped on it. Not only were we excited to watch our first baseball game of the season, we made a pact to try different food items at the ballpark this year. Usually, we go with the reliable and delicious hot dogs or a bag of Angie's kettle corn, but Target Field offers a lot more, and this year they added some items that sound too good not to try.

Of course, I did my research before we went to the game. This is a must for me because I like to actually sit and watch the game, not stand in line and wrestle my way through the crowds. New Target Field food choices for 2012 include: a mega meatball, a baked potato bar, fried pickles (totally up my alley, but Mark isn't a fan), garlic fries, buffalo mac n cheese, and a bacon sloppy joe.


As soon as I told Mark about the bacon sloppy joe he was hooked. That was what he needed to get. And he did.

Mark with his Bacon Sloppy Joe
The sandwich consists of a huge bun stuffed with a sloppy joe and bacon mixture and some melted pepper jack cheese. It comes with a pickle and a side of Fritos (which was a bonus because they are Mark's favorite chips and we never buy them).

Mark enjoyed his bacon sloppy joe and thought the meat was well seasoned. He thought the pepper jack cheese complimented the sandwich well. However, he noted that this sandwich will not replace the stadium hot dogs in his heart but was good ballpark food nonetheless.

For me, I contemplated a number of items but decided on a hamburger and fries as recommended by Daren. The burger came with lettuce and tomato on top and I added some ketchup and mustard. I was really impressed with the quality of the burger, it was thick enough and juicy. The fries were also good. They were thick and well seasoned. Not the best fries ever, but better than I was expecting. If I am ever at a Twins game and find myself craving something bigger than a hot dog, a hamburger would definitely be one of my top choices.

As for the game we got to see Yu Darvish in his second career start. He went up against Nick Blackburn, who suffered some shoulder stiffness in the 6th inning and had to leave the game. The Twins ended up losing 6-2, but we still had a great afternoon with Daren and Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment