Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Greek Yogurt Pancakes


I wanted to call this blog post something way longer albeit much more accurate (Chocolately Protein Packed Greek Yogurt Pancakes), but settled with  "Greek Yogurt Pancakes" to save everyone some brain power. You're welcome. Just know that the title doesn't emphasize the facts that this recipe is choco-rific and much more nutritious than normal pancakes.

I was originally given this recipe from my sister-in-law, Elisa, a couple months ago by her handing me a recipe card and saying "let me know what you think" leaving me with no indication of how these would turn out. Being the curious creature that I am, these were made for dinner the next day. Here is a screenshot of the conversation Elisa and I had afterwards:

To summarize: These are pancakes, made with greek yogurt, and actually taste close to the real deal. These are pancakes with a pretty decent amount of protein, meaning I won't be hungry an hour and a half later, very little flour, and no sugar. Sign me up.

Fast forward to this past Saturday when we were looking for an excuse to open our container of Wallaby Greek Yogurt (our favorite), the pancakes popped into my head and Mark was more than willing to oblige. While I was mixing the ingredients I remembered that I had an unopened container of Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa and decided to experiment. Can you really go wrong with adding chocolate to pancakes? I think not.

Turns out I thought right. The biggest difference I could tell between actual pancakes and these was that these were a bit harder to cut through. Rubbery might be the right word, but it seems so off-putting. Either way, these were enjoyed and will be made again.

We topped ours with the usual butter and syrup but feel free to do whatever you want. I have a feeling peanut butter would be a really good topping.


Greek Yogurt Pancakes

Serves 1-2 depending on now hungry people are

Ingredients:

8 ounces of greek yogurt*

1 egg or egg white

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat)

1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract, optional

2 tablespoons cocoa powder, optional

Directions:

Spray a large skillet and heat over medium heat.

Meanwhile, whisk together yogurt, egg, and extract (if using) in a medium bowl until well combined.

Add all other ingredients and mix well.

Pour 1/4 cup scoops of batter onto skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes.

Remove from skillet and keep warm. Continue this until all batter is gone.

Serve and top with whatever.

Enjoy :)

*Notes:

We used plain 2% Greek Yogurt for these, but feel free to use flavored or fat free.

All you need

Kind of looks like brownie batter

Doesn't it look like an actual pancake?

No comments:

Post a Comment