Saturday, August 25, 2012

My Favorite Breakfast Sandwich (For Now)


My Monday-Friday breakfast is usually one of two things: cold oatmeal or an egg sandwich. Both are extremely easy to make, delicious, and fill me up after my workout.

One day I will get around to posting the cold oatmeal recipe (maybe when I don't prep it at 11:00 pm I will remember to take pictures!), but for today it will be an egg sandwich that I seriously can not get enough of. It has cheese, vegetables, avocado, and garlic smushed between two slices of bread.

There are endless possibilities for twists you could make on this sandwich to turn it into your own. It's also one of those recipes you could make a couple servings of ahead of time for on-the-go meals.

It's delightful! I hope you agree.

Sautéing the veggies, it smells wonderful!
Cheese! I used shredded, it was all I had on hand.
Smashed avocado..... So good.
Veggie pancake!
Neat little package complete :)
My Favorite Breakfast Sandwich (For Now)

Serves 1

Ingredients:

1 egg, lightly whisked

1/4 cup broccoli, chopped

1/4 cup red pepper, chopped

1 cup kale, chopped and stems removed

1/8 cup onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

salt & pepper

garlic powder, optional

basil, optional

1/6 avocado

1 slice provolone cheese

1 sandwich or bagel thin

Directions:

Lightly spray a skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.

Once skillet is warm add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes (until slightly soft), then add garlic and cook for another minute or so.

Add broccoli and red pepper and cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally being careful not to burn.

Turn heat down to medium-low (more on the low side) and add kale. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (add optional seasonings here) and allow the kale to cook down.

While kale is cooking, toast sandwich (or bagel) thin in toaster to preferred toasty-ness. Then mash avocado on one half of bread, place cheese on the other half of bread, and set aside (the heat from the bread should melt the cheese a little).

Now pour lightly whisked egg into pan with vegetables. Allow to cook for a minute or two (or until center is almost set), then flip and cook for another minute or two.

Place egg-veggie pancake on top of avocado covered bread slice and top with melted cheese covered bread slice.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment