Thursday, July 19, 2012

Black Bean and Vegetable Tex-Mex Filling

Us at the Twins game. Final score 19-7... Yeah it was that kind of game.
Over the weekend I cooked up some black beans to use for Monday's dinner. When Monday morning rolled around I was craving some Mexican inspired dish. Finally deciding on black bean tostadas, I went out for my run. It was during my run that I realized that Mark has taco salad for lunch every Tuesday so he probably wouldn't want tostadas the night before. As crushed as I was, I settled on black bean sloppy joes made with salsa.
Around 4:30 pm I decided that I wanted to go to the Twins game, which meant I was in a time crunch to get dinner done. So instead of following the recipe I had found, I threw together flavors and spices I thought would go well together. The end result ended up being pretty good, but didn't really taste like sloppy joes. However, we concluded that the filling would be nice for taco filling, nachos, mexican pasta dish, or on buns (how we had it). That works well for me because I like to make a big batch of something and freeze some for a later date.
Veggie-rific part of the filling
All the vegetables sautéing
Blurry picture of the final product
It can still be called a sloppy joe as long as it was sloppy, right?
So here is my recipe for the quickly thrown together filling.

Black Bean and Vegetable Tex-Mex Filling


Serves 2-4


Ingredients:


1 can black beans (or 1.5 cups homemade)

1/2 onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 small carrot, finely chopped

1/2 zucchini, finely chopped

1/4 red bell pepper, sliced thin

1/2 cup chard, chopped

1/4-1/2 cup salsa

1 tsp cumin

1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard

1 tablespoon soy sauce

ground pepper to taste

Directions:


Heat a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat.

Add onions and cook until translucent.

Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.

Then add carrot, zucchini, bell pepper, and chard and saute until they start to soften (~3-5 minutes).

Once vegetables start to soften, stir in black beans, salsa, cumin, mustard, soy sauce, and pepper.

Cook to desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment